I planted Huckleberry bushes today! They are on either side of the tree, which looks like a little stick :).
This probably doesn't look like much but it took quite a bit of man power to get rid of the grass in our hell strip. I put a whole square yard of composted cow manure over trader joe's bags. This was about a month ago. Today I spent about 2 hours pick axe'ing the h#ll out of this area. I then planted primarily native plants. Two Huckleberry bushes (which will produce a ton of huckleberries in the fall, Yippeee!), 6 Lupine, and two different types of Dahlias all across the center/top. So, the Lupine is supposed to actually help fix nitrogen from your soil! With both the Huckleberry and the Lupine being native plants I won't have to water them and they will feed hummingbirds and other birds. This is so exciting. Further, I won't have to drive 130 miles to pick Huckleberries!
I have also ordered two Saskatoon Berry bushes, a dwarf cherry, and raspberries. I have a place all ready for each of these which has been mulched and covered in cow manure. Oh, and I forgot about the 6 tomato plants! My goodness, I'll be busy canning this August.
Laura

3 comments:
RAD!
you go hunny
COOL! How's it looking today?
Post a Comment