Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Update from the Portland Pro Commute Circuit

As I found out today, your fates can change quickly on the Portland Pro Commute Circuit. Yesterday, on the way in, a guy in spandex jeans on a fixie almost beat me in to work. I only beat him because he tried to get his card punched at a kiosk that was closed, so I was able to catch up and pass him on the steep Campus Drive hill. Then on the way home, a guy with a FULL SIZE GUITAR kicked my butt up Clinton. That was enormously demoralizing.
Then, it all turned around this morning when two serious cyclists (ie on actual road bikes and wearing kit - one in postal gear) passed me on Terwilliger (the base of the climb). Then a guy on a Trek "Portland", which is a semi-crappy commuter bike, passed me. I drafted off him as he bridged up to the serious cyclists. When these three dudes, that were killing me, hit Campus Dr which is about a 10% (?) grade they went completely backwards. I, of course, risked life and limb to pass these guys. Then, further up the climb, the commuter on the crappy Trek passed me and completely demoralized me by asking about my bike box as he went by. I just hung on this guy's wheel as best I could for the rest of the climb. Imagine my surprise when the guy in postal gear passed me when I pulled into my bike parking. He must've been killing himself to keep up with us!
So, one day you get beat by a guy carrying a full size guitar and the next you beat a Floyd Landis wannabe!

No comments: